This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Performance

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Hi Tamas

The first unit test takes around 2.5 seconds, every subsequent unit test using the database takes around 3-7ms. I'm trying to get into TDD and writing my tests first then coding each method, this means I run each individual test a few times until they work. 3-7ms per test is lightening fast, and faster than any other way of testing EF properly. Is there any way to reduce the time it takes to run the first test?
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM
btw, my schema contains around 100 tables so it will always take a little longer to create the db.
Jun 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Hello,

During the first database creation lots of things happen, so there had to be ways to improve it. Do you have any performance profiling tool? It would be nice if we determined the bottleneck of this specific use case.
Jun 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I'll have a look this eve :-)
Jul 24, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Well, I'm having latency issues too with a really easy model (10 tables). It takes almost 3~4 seconds to begin the first test.
It's not an issue now because testing entity framework is really awesome :) the amount of time that i'm saving is huge compared to what i'm wasting on tests!
Buuuuuuuuut. I'm sure that it'll become a real PITA.

Can I help you with some info about?
What profiler do you recomend?
Jul 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM
3-4 secs seems very long for me. You can find a great list of profilers here. The best free alternative seems to be the EQATEC profiler.